As winter’s chill recedes, it’s time to get your lawn ready for spring.
Here’s a simple guide to help make your lawn look beautiful for the warmer months ahead.
- First, you need to aerate your lawn. This means making small holes with an aerator in the ground, to improve oxygen circulation and drainage. It helps the soil breathe and is good for the grass plants.
- Feeding the lawn with a nitrogen-rich fertilizer such as Vitax Organic Lawn Feed is crucial for stimulating robust growth. However, balance is key, as overfeeding can be harmful, making it essential to adhere to recommended guidelines and be careful not to use too much. Use of a lawn feed spreader such as the Westland Drop Spreader is thoroughly recommended.
- The onset of mowing is a delicate art in early spring. Starting with higher mower settings and gradually lowering them helps in nurturing the grass gently back to health, encouraging a thicker, healthier lawn without undue stress. Simultaneously, early spring presents a strategic opportunity for weed control. Whether by hand-weeding or using a lawn specific weed killer such as Weedol Lawn Weedkiller Concentrate, it’s best to address these intruders when they’re young and prevent them from overtaking the lawn later in the season.
- Areas thinned by winter can be revitalized through over-seeding. Choosing the right seed mix for the local environment (for instance, shady or wet area and whether you want a fine or general purpose lawn seed) and ensuring consistent moisture can transform sparse patches into vibrant grass. Westland Gro-Sure Smart Lawn Seed is a good general purpose seed, with a mix of seed, that will help to ensure its establishment in different lawn areas.
- As the season warms up, watering your lawn the right way is important. Instead of watering a little bit every day, it’s better to water deeply but less often. This helps the grass roots grow deep and strong.
- Keep an eye out for moss and bugs. If you see any, treat your lawn early before they spread. Early treatments using moss reducing products such as Viano MO Bacter Organic Lawn Fertiliser and Moss Killer and regular monitoring can prevent these issues from escalating, ensuring a healthy lawn.
- Finally, to complete your spring lawn care, the aesthetics of a lawn are heightened by neatly trimmed edges with a lawn edger, and by following these simple steps, you can have a beautiful, green lawn ready for the warmer months.
Coolings offers a professional Lawn Care Service, which can take care of all your lawn feeding and scarifying needs. Please call us on 01959 532269 for more information.
*Please note this service is only available to areas local to Coolings The Gardener’s Garden Centre, Sevenoaks.
Come and visit us in-store or online to find all of our Lawn Care range.