To celebrate the 90th birthday of the National Garden Scheme (NGS), we are privileged to be hosting the ‘Gardens of Kent’ show here at Coolings on the 26th March – Mothering Sunday.
The NGS started in 1927, where gardens across the land opened for one shilling each to provide funds for Queen Alexandra’s nurses, the forerunners of district nurses. In Kent there are eight of the original openers still opening today and helping to raise millions of pounds for charity: Chilham Castle, Great Maytham Hall, Hole Park, Ightam Mote, Knole, Penshurst Place, Riverhill Himalayan Gardens, and Scotney Castle.
The FREE ‘Gardens of Kent Show’ will be presented by the NGS on Sunday March 26th, from 10am to 4pm, here at Coolings and will be opened by Jane Beedle – local garden designer and runner up in the BBC Great British Bake Off 2016.
The day will allow you to:
1) Marvel at displays from Kent’s wonderful and varied garden.
2) Get gardening advice from specialists.
3) Enjoy talks by head gardeners of some of Kent’s outstanding gardens.
4) Take part in a live broadcast of BBC Kent’s Sunday Gardening with Andy Garland.
5) Learn about the trials, tribulations and triumphs of opening a garden for the National Garden Scheme.
6) Talk to representatives of all beneficiary charities – including Macmillan Cancer Support, Marie Curie, and Parkinson’s UK.
This really will be a wonderful opportunity to talk to the people who create and maintain some of the county’s finest gardens and to take a peek behind the scenes. All in all it will be an exciting day and not one to be missed.
Schedule for the event:
8.00 am Start of transmission of Radio Kent Sunday Gardening
10.00 am Doors open to public
10.05 am Jane Beedle opens show and cuts cake
10.15 am Jane Beedle interview with Andy Garland
10.30 – 10.45 George Plumptre interview with Andy Garland
11.00 am End of transmission of Radio Kent Sunday Gardening
11.30 am Q and A session with Andy Garland until approx. 12.15 pm
1.00 pm Talk – Paul Cooling
1.30 pm Talk Quentin Start Head Gardener Hole Park
2.00 pm Talk and questions to Peter Seabrook Television Gardener
2.45 pm Talk – Steve Edney Head Gardener The Salutation
3.15 pm Talk -Vivien Hunt Head Gardener Godinton House
4.00 pm Event Close
FREE to attend. No Need To Book just pop along on the day between 10 and 4pm – A great way to spend Mothering Sunday!