Malus 'Princeton Cardinal' 12L
Product Code: 183032
- Other names: Malus hupehensis 'Cardinal', Crab apple 'Princeton Cardinal', Crabapple 'Princeton Cardinal', Malus 'Cardinal'
- Princeton Cardinal' is a spreading, deciduous tree with narrowly ovate, toothed, glossy, dark reddish-purple leaves and clusters of lightly fragrant, reddish-pink flowers in mid-spring followed by dark red fruit in autumn.
- Prefers moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil in full sun but will tolerate a wide range of soil conditions as well as partial shade. Mature height is determined by rootstock. This cultivar is susceptible to scab.
- Will reach a height of 5m and a spread of 8m after 10-20 years
- Malus Cardinal is very cold-hardy. It is also one of the most disease-resistant of the bronze-leaved crab-apples, with good resistance to scab and mildew. It grows with an attractive upright habit which soon becomes spreading and flat-topped, and makes a pleasing sight in the landscape.
Malus 'Cardinal' (or 'Princeton Cardinal') is named for its intense purple-pink flowers which are borne in great profusion in April - the tree can appear to be almost drowning under the weight of blossom. In autumn the tree is covered in tiny dark red fruitlets, which persist on the tree into early winter. In good autumn weather (sunny days and cold nights) the leaves will take on red hues. Like many pink-flowered crab-apples the leaves are also a deep bronze colour in the spring, lightening to bronze-tinged green over the summer, and taking on some orange colour in the autumn.
Our very own delivery team can bring your purchases direct to you in our environmentally friendly biodiesel powered vans.
Family Membership Card
A new way to offer a range of exciting benefits for you and your family to enjoy when visiting our garden centre.