Join Will and Dale at Coolings Potted Garden Nursery for a guide on low maintenance, easy living gardening:
Plants featured in the video:
Suggested plants for a dry, sunny area:
• Sempervivum – meaning ‘always alive’ – reference to the fact that Sempervivum tolerate extreme temperatures and drought.
• Palms – better for container gardens if you have a heavy soil, perfect for bringing an exotic feel to your outside space!
• Sedum – a succulent plant with masses of pink flowerheads in late summer, extremely attractive to butterflies and bees.
• Grasses – a fantastic way to soften an area and add contrast to borders, ideal for sensory gardens where you’ll hear the gentle rustling in the breeze.
• Pittosporum – a very versatile evergreen shrub, a great way to add structure to your garden in winter and many varieties can be used to produce an informal hedge.
• Abelia – interesting foliage with showy clusters of flowers in summer and autumn.
Suggested plants for a wet or shady area:
• Hardy Geraniums – available in a whole range of colour shades including violets, blues, pinks, magenta and white. Attractive to butterflies and bees.
• Bergenia – adds year-round interest with large glossy, rounded leaves and clusters of pink bell-like flowers.
• Pieris – known for their attractive foliage and flowers in early spring, young leaves are often bronze or red.
• Ferns – well known for growing in a shady location, their beautiful foliage provides contrast and texture in a border with a tropical touch.
If you have a grow, let us know!
We would love to see photos and videos of your gardening projects. See the links to our social media accounts below and tag us in your posts using #coolingsgc